Service Officer Assistance
What is a Service Officer?
- American Legion Service Officers are specially trained to provide assistance, free of charge, to veterans and their families. While the majority of a service officer's work involves application for VA dsability benefits, these compassionate professionals also provide information, referrals and resources on education, employment and business, death benefits and other important topics.
Who is American Legion Post 42's Service Officer?
- John Stover is the Service Officer for American Legon Post 42. Although we have one elected Service Officer, we also 8 members of the American Legion Family at Post 42 trained to assist with the duties of a Service Officer.
How do I contact the Service Officer for assistance?
- You can call (502) 349-9235 or (502) 649-3351. Please leave a voicemail. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
- American Legion Post 42 Service Officers are also at the Nelson County Public Library the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month unless it falls on a holiday, 10am to 12pm.
- Most Friday's throughout the year VSO's are available at Sousley VAMC Campus, Leestown Rd., Lexington, KY at building #28 from 0700-1200hrs. The point of contact for dates is Jon Beach @ (859) 979-2903. Please leave a message and your call will be return shortly.
What are some of the items I need to bring when talking to a Service Officer?
- A copy of your DD214
- If possible, a copy of their private/third party medical records that may support your claim.
- Military records dictating an in-service injury or disability.
- A copy of your banking account #, routing #, and name of the bank unless this has already been established with the VA
- The DOB's & SSN's for the spouse and any dependent's of the Veteran.
Below are a few resources to help you with your claim.
- 38 CFR Book C, Schedule for Rating Disabilities
- VA Forms
- VBA-21-22 - Appointment of Veterans Service Organization as Claiment's Representative
- VBA-21-526EZ - Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits
- VA eBenefits
- VA MY Healthy Vet